(Part II)
Ok, now that I got that out of my system, let me get down to a serious concert review.

But before that I feel like I need to say something. Summing up my feelings after-concert, one word – ecstasy. And when I use that word to describe a concert that featured Thodi as the main piece it’s safe to say I am either plain baked or something must have gone right :)

The concert started with a Varnam in the ragam mandhari. It sounded somewhat like panthuvarali , it was swift and set the pace for the evening.This was followed by a song in raagam Bahudari called "Sadanadha thandavam" set to Aadi thalam. It is very interesting to observe how the "Kutcheri Panthadhi" (Geez, did I just sound like Subbudu!) is changing with times. Krishnan took the time to announce every song - the raagam, thaalam and composer and sometimes any special connotations associated. Definitely made the experience more worthwhile as well as educational.

My friend and I talk about this sometimes. Although I am not a big fan of the raga Kharaharapriya itself, I am absolutely enthralled with it’s Janya raagams. Really – Think about it , with an impressive Janya raagam list like Abheri, Bagesri, Brindavanasaranga, Dharbar, Huseni, Kaanada, Madhyamavathi, Manirangu, Rithigowlai, Shri, Shriranjani, Sudda dhanyasi, Kaapi and Sahana you are easy the best Melakartha mom raga ever. So much so that if I were Kharaharapriya, I would voluntarily retire from contention, and would not let myself in the spotlight (main piece) of any concert. I’d just lean back on my easy chair, and proudly watch as my children mesmerize millions of fans with their subtle notes. But I digress.

(To be continued..)
0 Responses