Some things never change

So here I was,at Couz's place for the long weekend,in NH.Over Chai and Namkeen, we yapped away to glory, realising that nothing much had changed over all these years.A prolific blogger and a partner-in-crime in school, we laughed at how the more the number of tests we had the next day, the more we kept away from studying.

I don't know if this is a blogger trend across the board, but I personally am at my blogging prime (only) when I have neck-wringing deadlines the next day.Today is no exception.Another long night looming, I set to work and turned to youtube for some musical entertainment.I heard Kaavaavaa after a long time. I couldn't resist this post. So here goes :

Before you read this though, I highly recommend listening to this.

I have always been fascinated by the folklore around Lord Muruga,and that was definitely a big part of the charm in this composition. But it was also Varali.The Gandharam in Varali just mesmerizes me. Pay attention to the "PMG..R" prayogam used throughout the composition. As the song progresses, also pay attention to the ucha sthayee "RGMGR" in the "Valli Deivayani" bit. Its the Ri and Ga that just completely bowl me over.

On another note,I also highly recommend "Kaana Ayiram Kan Vendum", again another composition on the peacock God, by Nithyashree.This song was on my loop list in musicindiaonline all the time. You can also see the video here. Set to Abheri, the virutham draws out the complete essence of Abheri,and the transition from the virutham to the krithi is just soo fascinating.

Thank God for Music !


Two hour update :


I've expressed variations of this before - like I miss India, or friends and family, many ,many times I've said I miss Bangalore. But at this very moment, I feel a huge, huge longing to walk the streets of Pondy Bazaar. More importantly I want to be here, listening to this. Sure, over the next two months, I am going to have my fair share of concerts to listen to in Btown. But its not the same. The fake accents, the heavy jewellery,the zari'ed pattu podavais notwithstanding, there is something magical about sitting at Nungambakkam Cultural Academy listening to a Suddha Dhanyasi, hearing a nondescript passerby critique it better than Subbudu.


Here it is - I miss Chennai !
0 Responses