Raindrops on roses
And whiskers on kittens
Bright copper kettles
And warm woolen mittens
Brown paper packages
Tied up with strings
These are a few of my favorite things.

When the dog bites,
When the bee stings,
When I'm feeling sad,
I simply remember my favorite things,
And then I don't feel so bad

Cream-colored ponies
And crisp apple strudels
Doorbells and sleighbells
And schnitzel with noodles
Wild geese that fly
With the moon on thir wings
These are a few of my favorite things

When the dog bites,
When the bee stings,
When I'm feeling sad,
I simply remember my favorite things,
And then I don't feel so bad

Girls in white dresses
With blue satin sashes
Snowflakes that stay
On my nose and eyelashes
Silver white winters
That melt into springs
These are a few of my favorite things!

When the dog bites,
When the bee stings,
When I'm feeling sad,
I simply remember my favorite things,
And then I don't feel so bad


I simply love the song. It brings back fond memories. Those good ol' days when you didnt have a care in the world(or so you thought !!!).Those days where me and kola used to walk back from cnot,singing this song loudly for all to hear..... playing "I saw..I saw"....those front bar bicycle rides with the kids....all of us mauling kolas cycle,playing val-friend,the day I made my first Job,pulling everyone out of slumber to tell them I made it.. meeting the gangs crushes,my gang people making sure we met them,bonded with them or like them.Gatecrashes,those long gate-calls, MB motor room,kols-kaks mush corner,we playing cupid for them,those late nite discussions with kutti and prabha,me playing agony aunt,those accross-the-balcony conversations with sumi !!!!!

You know, since my first year, I sort of went on a mission- to find out what is love, why people fall in love and so on. I have always wondered what makes people click. A weird anecdote comes to mind. There was this scientist who wanted to find out why peole die.So he did it to himself slowly, and tried to record his experiences as he was dying. Depressing as it is,the point being,that most people say it is experience (sort of getting sucked in the whirlpool yourself, if you will),not much can be theorized, or put to reason.

But since then, I did make progress in my reasearch,but I dont think it has led to any strong conclusions.Or, summary, or recommendations for that matter.Oh I might come up with a few quick,on-the-fly recommendations, but that can wait. I saw a lot of people on campus"going senti".There seem to be a class of them, who want to have a girlfriend/boyfriend because it is fahionable,or because everyone in the wing has one, or this sentisem thing that says" I have a job,a good gre/cat score,apped, the only thing I need now to complete the circle is a bf/gf".Most often a bakra is a freshie girl who promptly gets dumped by the senti semite bf (or the other way round)the minute he goes out of campus.

And then there is a category of senti-goers.To them they are each others world.You can see them attend classes together,have lunches together,study together,well,you can even see them waiting outside the loo for each other.Well,if the girl wants to check mails, she calls the guy.The guy,dutifully marches to MB in a borrowed cycle,drives her all the way to the IPC, where the patiently wait for those extra chairs,sit glued to each other in the same comp, and check both their accounts.In case you havent guessed already,they have the same password. They fill other peoples autograph books together with entries for questions like aim in life going " to get married to each other" !!! Of course, they already know what their third kid's second bicycle's color will be.

There are these other people, who hang out because they are bored, or what to know how it feels to be spotted with the opposite sex around campus,to increase their "dude/dudette" indexes.They are the typical "Pam Anderson - Vayyapuri" pair.Or the "Tom Cruise- Kovai Sarala" ones.Of course, flirts around till you get bored of the other person.

And then, you have this pair who universally win acclaim as the batch's best psenti couple. I dont know about other batches,but our 2000 batch sure had one. You ask anyone on campus, "who is the best couple on campus" pat comes the reply " ABC and XYZ" of course !!!! I sure cant claim to know the specifics,but to a casual eye this is what it seems :They are part of different clubs and departments. Each has their own gang,own priorities.They have a wing, go for wing treats, wing trips,dept duties,dept trips and so on.The are not the only ones who give each other gatecalls. They get tripped with other people. It is so healthy,mature.Not the "I-cant-keep-my-hands-off-you" kind of thing.

There are other fuzzy categories too,but cant quite seem to put a name on them.Maybe a little rusty,its been long since I passed out !!!!!Maybe a wee bit of whirlpool myself !!!!
0 Responses